Perhaps it is strange that I write to the three of you in this format. But I realized this morning that I have a few things I want to say to you collectively. Part of my chaplaincy training was spent reflecting on my family of origin: what part I played in it, what parts you each played, and how my growing up within this family prepared me to deal with conflict, pain, joy, relationships, and countless other adult-life stuff. This process was enlightening, painful, and gratifying. I thought I would share with you some of my take-aways via my blog. (You can thank me later.)
First, we each bring a unique perspective to what it means to be part of this family. Our memories are sometimes similar and sometimes very different. Interpretations, conclusions, participation, roles and needs may all differ. In other words we aren’t one single story, but rather several stories woven together. That is as it should be.
I recognize and affirm your thoughts, ideas and experiences regarding our family whether they are congruent with mine or not.
Second, beyond the four of us, no one can lay claim to being part of our family of four. That makes this group an elite one. Out of 7.5 billion people, only 4 of us make up the Peter-&-Carol-Flink-Party-of-Four. Certain situations remind me of the importance of this little family cult of ours. Neither time nor divorce nor death removes this fact for me.
I recognize and affirm the value of being part of this family.
Third, I am grateful to be loved by the three of you. You have known me longer than anyone else. Through good and bad, thick and thin, my good qualities and not-so-good qualities, you love me. Thank you for that.
I recognize and affirm the gift of being loved by each of you.
Fourth, you set the foundation for who I am today. I am keenly aware that Jennifer Potter – wife, mother, pastor, chaplain, blogger extraordinaire – originated as Jennie/Jennie Bugs/JB Flink – daughter, sister. Sometimes we try to splinter ourselves from where we came from, particularly when hurt is involved. But this seems to only result in the splintering of oneself. I am both Flink and Potter, each contributing so much richness and depth to my collective self. Exploring and appreciating that truth seems to bring together the best from each world I have lived.
I recognize and affirm the contributions you have made to my life, silly nicknames and all.
Fifth, as the only introvert in this group, I would like to point out how much communication I have endured and continue to endure. Seriously. You all love to call, text, and email, particularly the introvert who happens to be a damn good listener. It has taken me time to learn how to sustainably manage all of this. Thank you for understanding my decision to participate in approximately 42% of your communication. If I miss anything big in the remaining 58%, please let me know.
I recognize and affirm the ability for introverts and extroverts to healthily and peacefully co-exist.
Sixth, we as a family unit are a paradox. We are so very different from one another. We are so very much the same as one another. I am both giddy about and horrified by this truth. (You know what I’m talking about.)
I recognize and affirm our differentness and our sameness.
Seventh, we are a unit and we are individuals. This is a tricky one because the unit is so deeply engrained that acting within it is almost involuntary. I can be with one of you and the other two are somehow also in that room whether I am aware of it consciously or not. I can be in a room without any of you and am often impacted by this family unit nonetheless. This is the strength of a family of origin. It is also its curse. I am learning to be both myself, and one-fourth of this family. The first part of that learning was to make space for me as an individual. The second part has been to make space for each of you as individuals.
I recognize and affirm the space we each need to be our whole selves.
Finally, I am choosing to move forward holding this family unit with gratitude for who it was, is, and will be, warts and all. I learned that I have been carrying you with me throughout my life in so many ways. I find there is something important about consciously choosing to carry this family unit with me, in ways that are both appropriate and healthy. In doing so, I believe I take the best of what we as a family created and the important lessons learned along the way.
I recognize and affirm my gratitude for you, my family of origin.
Thank you. I love you.
With great affection,
One thought on “Dear Family of Origin”
Very well thought out, organized and articulated- AND APPRECIATED ( warts and all).
If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. BUT NOW FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE, ABIDE THESE THREE; BUT THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE.
Thank you for your reflections, insight and LOVE- ( the greatest of these three!)
LikeLiked by 1 person